Easy One Pot Chana Masala
This insanely easy one pot chana masala is perfect for your week day meals! And it is also vegan, of course! Drowning in a ton of spices, this chana masala is unbelievably cozy!
Great for Meal Prep
As a super busy person, I am always looking for recipes that can be prepped ahead of time to save the headache of trying to figure out what to eat daily. This easy one pot chana masala serves as a great meal prep to pack for lunches or as a quick dinner to heat up when you’ve had a busy day.
Packed with all good ingredients
My easy one pot chana masala is packed with alllll the good stuff! It is full of protein, fiber, veggies, greens, and a bit of healthy fat!
Here is a quick run down of the ingredients:
– bell pepper
– sweet peas
– lite coconut milk (my fav is on sale HERE!!!)
– any neutral oil
– literally any other veggie you need to use up
– ALL OF THE SPICESSSSS
If you don’t have some of the vegetables listed in the recipe (or if you just don’t like one of them) feel free to substitute with your favorite vegetable!
This chana masala is extremely forgiving and works well with most greens and veggies that you will have on hand.
Have some kale that you need to use up? Throw it in!!
I use low fat/ lite coconut milk in this recipe to lighten things up. If you have full fat coconut milk (or just prefer it) then use that instead. The flavor will not be affected- it’ll still be freaking delicious!
Useful information to know about the Chana Masala:
What should I eat with chana masala?
I personally love serving this chana masala over some steamed white or brown rice.
Garlic naan is also a household favorite to serve this with! We love soaking up all of that delicious and flavorful sauce with the naan. We don’t want to waste a single drop!
Should I use canned chickpeas or dry chickpeas?
I personally found that using the canned chickpeas yielded better results. As long as you thoroughly rinse and drain the canned chickpeas, they are the better option for this recipe! They are able to cook down a bit softer and get more tender while chana masala is simmering away.
Also, canned chickpeas are super convenient and a major time saver!!
Does this one pot chana masala recipe freeze well?
The chana masala freezes extremely well. When you are ready to eat this, I recommend putting it in the fridge the night before so it has time to thaw.
If that is not an option (of you forget to thaw it) simply add a few tablespoons of vegetable broth or coconut milk to loosen it up and re-hydrate it.
Vegan Chana Masala
- 1 tsp oil any neutral oil
- ½ medium onion chopped small
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 bell pepper chopped finely
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can lite coconut milk 14 ounces
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- Warm a nonstick pot over medium heat.
- Add the oil to the pot and let it heat up.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook them until they become slightly translucent.
- Then add in the minced garlic and bell peppers. Let this cook down until the peppers have slightly softened.
- Add in all of the spices and allow them to bloom for a few minutes with the veggies. Stir frequently and add a few splashes of water to keep the spices from sticking and burning.
- Pour in the can of coconut milk. Add the green peas and chickpeas. Stir well and make sure there is no sticking.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for at least 30 minutes. Be sure to stir often to avoid burning.
- Serve over rice or serve with naan.