Easy Chickpea Tuna Salad Sandwich
This vegan chickpea tuna salad sandwich really brings me wayyy back! I used to love making tuna salad sandwiches in my childhood for a quick lunch or snack. The fattiness from the mayo, the crunch of the veggies, and the texture were a perfect combination.
And to be quite honest, this chickpea tuna salad kind of nails it! This recipe is easy and super quick. In under 10 minutes you can whip up this chickpea tuna and have your lunch meal prep done for the week! I recently had this for lunch prep and was legitimately so excited to eat it everyday!
What do you need for chickpea tuna?
Here are the ingredients:
Vegan Mayo (I highly recommend this (Vegan mayo from Best Foods)
Mustard (love this brand!!)
Salt & pepper
Some details you should know:
What kind of chickpeas should I use?
I would recommend using canned chickpeas because they are typically softer than your traditional homemade cooked chickpea. This makes the mashing process a lot easier!
What if I don’t have onions?
If you don’t have onions you can sub in 1/2 tbsp of onion powder. This will help bring that onion flavaaaaa.
What if I don’t have bell peppers?
You can sub in some diced cucumbers or a bit of diced celery. They will both bring that crunch that we are looking for in the chickpea tuna!
Will this recipe work with another type of bean?
I have not personally tested this recipe with a different bean/legume, so I can not guarantee the same amazing results. However, if you try this recipe with a bean besides the chickpea please let us know how it turned out in the comments!! I would love to know!! 🙂
What is the best way to eat the chickpea tuna salad?
I love eating this with toasted sliced bread! I will sometimes add greens, tomato, and cucumber for that extra oomph! The cucumbers add an extra crunch that is just perfect. Trust me on that one!
Enough of my talking.. let’s make this easy vegan chickpea tuna salad sandwich!
As always, if you like this recipe please leave a comment below and tag me on IG @thecarbetarian so I can see your recreations!! ♥
Vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad Sandwich
- 1 can cooked chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp onion diced
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo more if desired
- 2 tbsp bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- ½ tsp salt more to taste
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- dash of black pepper
- 2 slices bread whichever you prefer
- Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas. Try to shake off as much water as possible from the chickpeas (or you can pat slightly dry). This will ensure your chickpea tuna is not watery.
- Transfer half of the chickpeas to a flat surface (I like to use a big cutting board) and mash the chickpeas. Doesn't need to be a paste, but should be relatively mashed.
- Transfer the mashed chickpeas to a bowl with the rest of the chickpeas. Set that aside
- Diced up your onion and your bell pepper, along with any other veggie/substitute you are adding.
- Add your diced vegetables to the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Add in your remaining ingredients: mayo, mustard, and spices. Stir well to combine
- Feel free to mash this up a bit more if you want a smoother consistency.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Other meal prep recipes:
Have you grabbed the FREE 6 Simple Sweets Ebook yet??
Snag it HERE!!!