Crispy Baked Gluten Free Tofu Nuggets
Y’all These Crispy Baked Gluten Free Tofu Nuggets are going to take your snacking to a whole new level!!!! Even my non-vegan husband said they were DELICIOUS!!!
Crunchy from some GF breadcrumbs, and super lightened up! These crispy baked gluten free tofu nuggets are baked, not fried, so you won’t feel super weighed down or groggy after eating them. Win-win!!! They are baked to absolute perfection and very well seasoned so anyone would thoroughly enjoy them.
Why tofu nuggets?
I used to absolutely love chicken nuggets back in the day before I went vegan and I have always wanted to create a vegan nugget that was simple to make, with simple ingredients. Typically, I don’t like to over indulge in super processed vegan foods (but i LOVE vegan chickn products) so I decided to have a crack at it myself. And let me tell you, I am SO glad I finally tried this out! These crispy gluten free tofu nuggets completely satisfied my nugget craving and they were made of real ingredients.
1 block of Firm tofu, pressed (this is my tofu press that i LOVE!!!)
Almond milk (or your favorite unsweetened plant milk)
Gluten free breadcrumbs of choice
Other details to know:
Do I have to use firm tofu for the crispy baked gluten free tofu nuggets?
Any firm or extra firm tofu will work. This recipe will not work with silken tofu. Silken tofu will be too soft and not substantial enough to be worked with. Firm or extra firm tofu is the way to go.
Is it important to press the tofu?
I highly recommend pressing the tofu for atleast 30 minutes before making this recipe. Tofu that is not pressed holds too much water. It also interferes with the way the tofu cooks and yields a softer tofu rather than a firm tofu.
What if I don’t have a tofu press?
You can press your tofu by wrapping tightly it in a clean towel and placing something very heavy on top. A cast iron skillet or a plate with heavy cans sat on top will work fine! Do this for atleast 30 minutes.
Can I substitute almond flour for a different flour?
I personally have not tested this recipe with other flours. However, other types of flour will work just fine. The liquid to flour ratio will be different based on the flour you decide to use. Just make sure that the wet mixture is thick in consistency, about the thickness of a pancake batter. You want it to be relatively thick so the breadcrumbs will stick to it better.
What kinds of breadcrumbs should I use?
I say use whatever gluten free breadcrumbs you enjoy using the most! You can even crush up your favorite chip and use it as the “breadcrumbs” to shake things up a bit! This works very well !
All right, let’s get cooking!!!
Crispy Baked Gluten Free Tofu Nuggets
- 1 block firm tofu pressed
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder and onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- Press your tofu to remove as much water as possible. You can do this by wrapping your tofu in a clean cloth and adding something heavy on top to press out excess water.
- In a bowl, combine the almond milk, almond flour, and spices. Mix well to form a nice thick batter!
- In another bowl add the breadcrumbs.
- Cut your tofu into bite sized pieces. Dip each piece of tofu into the wet batter and then into the breadcrumbs, being sure to fully coat the tofu in the breadcrumbs. Set aside on a baking sheet.
- Repeat previous step with all of your tofu pieces.
- ***OPTIONAL***For EXTRA crunchy tofu nuggets, lightly spray your nuggets with some spray oil on the top (after breading) for that extra crispy deliciousness!
- If you're using an oven, bake tofu nuggets at 375F for 35-40 minutes, flipping them over after the first 20 minutes and baking until they're golden brown and crispy.
- If you're using an air fryer, bake nuggets at 375F for 25 minutes, shaking them halfway through. Bake until they're golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with your fav dipping sauce + enjoy 😊
Want to try other simple recipes? Check these out:
As always, if you make any of my recipes I would love to see your recreations! Be sure to tag me in IG @thecarbetarian so I can share and show you some love ♥