Crispy Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
I am obsessed with these crispy baked buffalo cauliflower wings! Honestly, I have made them twice in the past 2 days and plan to make more tomorrow! They are crunchy, spicy, and seasoned to perfection. These cauli wings are also pretty quick to whip up, so making them on a weeknight is a breeze.
I also wanted to keep them pretty simple and light, so I decided to bake them instead of crying them. And let me tell you, they are sooo delicious and ACTUALLY CRISPY!! The secret to this wonderfully crispy baked buffalo cauliflower wings is to put the hot sauce in the wet batter… Yep!! That’s it!
I never understood why people would take their deliciously crunchy goodies and then toss them in a sauce. When you add the sauce afterwards the crunchy outer layer just absorbs the sauce and becomes soggy breading. Well that is not happening here!!
Be sure to adjust the spiciness to your own comfort and you are good to go!
Here are the ingredients you will need for the crispy baked buffalo cauliflower wings:
almond milk (or any unsweetened plant milk)
Frank’s Red Hot sauce
Some important things to know:
Can I use something besides almond flour?
Yes, but the consistency will be different. You are trying to achieve a thick wet batter (similar to a pancake batter). The amounts may be different for a different type of flour.
What if I want it super spicy?!
If you want very spicy cauliflower wings just add more hot sauce! But be sure that the amount of liquid (hot sauce + plant milk) you use does not exceed 1/2 cup. To ensure this, i usually pour my hot sauce straight into the 1/2 measuring cup (as much as I prefer) and then I fill it up the rest of the way with almond milk. This ensures I don’t go over 1/2 cup of liquids!
Is there a vegan hot sauce?
Yes, Frank’s Red Hot sauce is vegan and delicious! It is my preferred hot sauce to use.
Can I make these without an air fryer?
You bet! I have air fryer instructions and oven instructions below in the recipe! 🙂
Looking for more delicous appetizers?
Try these Crispy Baked GF Tofu Nuggets – HERE!
Did you try this recipe?!
I would love to see your creations!! Be sure to tag me over on IG @thecarbetarian so I can share the love 🙂 ♥
Okay, let’s get cooking!
Crispy Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
Wet batter ingredients
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2-3 tbsp Frank's Red Hot wings
- 5-6 tbsp unsweetened almond milk or any unsweetened plant milk
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- In a medium sized bowl, add in all of the wet batter ingredients. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you use 2 tbsp of hot sauce then use 6 tbsp of plant milk. If you use 3 tbsp of hot sauce then use 5 tbsp of plant milk. You don't want to use more than 1/2 cup (which equals 8 tbsp) of liquid. This will ensure your wet batter is thick enough.
- Set aside your wet batter to thicken for atleast 5 minutes.
- While your batter is thickening, rinse and cut up your cauliflower into slightly bigger than bite sized pieces. Lightly dry your cauliflower with a clean kitchen towel. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl pour in your breadcrumbs.
- Now take your piece of cauliflower and dunk it in your wet batter (being sure it gets evenly coated). Lightly shake your cauliflower to get rid of any excess batter.
- Then put your battered cauliflower into the breadcrumbs. Make sure it gets fully coated with the breadcrumbs. Set aside and repeat the process with the remaining pieces of cauliflower.
- I like to lightly spray my cauliflower wings with a bit of cooking oil spray to help them crisp up even more, this is optional but HIGHLY recommended!
- If you are using an air fryer, set your air fryer to 400F. Bake cauliflower wings for 20 minutes, shaking gently halfway through.
- If you are using a traditional oven, heat your oven to 400F. Place your cauliflower on a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning over your cauliflower wings after 10 minutes.
- Serve while hot! Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!